We said our goodbye's and off we went...very slowly pulling the load we had. We decided not to drive straight there but that we would make a few stops to see things and visit places one or both of us had never been.
Our first stop was the Martin's Cove visitor's center. We didn't hike out to the site where the Pioneers were but walked through the buildings at the visitor's center. We even found the names of Jaren's ancestors on a plaque that had names of the pioneers who came out in the handcart companies. Jaren's ancestors came in the Willie handcart company.
This is devil's gate that you could see from the visitor's center. The pioneers had to go around devil's gate because it was too narrow to fit through.
Just through the other side of Devil's gate you could see Independence Rock. We walked out there and walked a small ways up the rock but I was in flip-flops and they didn't make for very good climbing. We were also in somewhat of a hurry to keep going on our drive so we didn't explore the rock too much to look for names engraved by the pioneers or the "well preserved ruts" from the wagons I've heard about. We did see along the path what looked like the trail the pioneers took. It looked like there was two strips where the wheels wore away the plants and weeds.
It was nice to stop and see these areas that the pioneers travelled. It was especially a neat feeling after having recently done the trek. Now when we looked at the handcarts or looked at what they were crossing I understood better and had a greater appreciation for those early saints. It was hot and hard and very exhausting. They surely had the help of the Lord and his Angels to be able to trek daily for months. I am definitely grateful for their sacrifice!

4 comments:
It sounds like you guys are haveing quite the traveling adventure with that moving van. Seeing your post reminded me of when I went on trek so many years ago-what a neat place to visit.
It was so fun to see you guys when you stopped by the Armstorng's for a bit a while back! So happy you guys are together again:)
I suppose Logan somewhat prepared you for the cold you are going to experience. There is a warmer Army base here in Huntsville, try Red Stone Arsenal next time....
Martin's Cove is awesome!! It is such a beautiful and peaceful place! Good luck on your new adventure!
That's awesome. I wish we'd seen Martin's Cove on our trip. I'm with you, though--if you're going to drive so far, you HAVE to stop and see things on the way! I bet Martin's Cove was really amazing.
Post a Comment