Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sparta, WI

The new town that Jaren and I live in is called Sparta, WI. It is "known" as the "Bicycling Capital of America". This statue is of Ben Bikin' which sits on the corner of two of the major streets/highway in Sparta. Apparently he's the largest Ben Bikin' statue in the world.



Sparta isn't very big. We do have a Walmart (which I thankfully live only 2 minutes from), a Walgreens, a small Sears, and the Piggly Wiggly. These are pretty much the stores in town. There are other small shops in the downtown area but a lot of the stores on the main road are closed down. The biggest concentration of shopping is 30 minutes away. I just couldn't resist a picture of the Piggly Wiggly. I didn't even know this was a grocery store for the first week we were here.



We've got some very nice neighbors. We found one place to rent that was nice and available...everything else was for sale. We have now named our street "Military row" because just about everyone in these town homes are either soldiers temporarily stationed at Fort McCoy or are retired military now working as civilians at Fort McCoy.



This town home has the most space we have ever lived in since Jaren and I got married. It may not look very big in the picture but it has a whole basement too. It has 3 1/2 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. I say 3 1/2 bedrooms because the 1/2 is a very small room without a window. It serves as my food storage room. The over-sized furnace/utility room has all my other storage. And we even have a 2 CAR GARAGE!!!! Jaren now has room to do his building projects in the garage instead of in my living room as he did before. He also has his very own room downstairs for all of his Army stuff, trains, and other misc. hobby items to go. I thought a whole room of his own would be plenty of space but alas, it is already spilling out into the open area downstairs. What a mess...don't guys appreciate organization? I threatened Jaren that if the mess ever got to me to badly, I WOULD go down there and do some "organizing". This means he may no longer be able to find certain things whether it be because they are actually put away or because they accidentally fell into the garbage. :) Though Sparta is a lot more remote than any other place we have lived, we love it! It's so beautiful here! There are definitely lots of places to explore and I will blog about some we've experienced soon!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Carrie said...

fun! I'm glad you are loving it there and the house looks cute! Have fun exploring.

Annica said...

That doesn't look like a townhome. It's huge!!! Congrats!

Lori said...

I'm glad you found a great new place to live and are enjoying it. It looks way nice!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Love the townhome! The Bikin' Ben totally made me laugh. That's hilarious. I'm glad you are liking Sparta, too.

Janet Hardy said...

We have two Piggly Wiggly's here and I'm glad someone else has seen it because I laughed my head off when I first saw it. They do have some good bargains too.