I know I am way behind on this post considering this first real winter storm was on December 9th. However, I went to all the trouble taking pictures so I decided I'd still write a post about it. This day was very, VERY cold and very, VERY windy! If you combine extreme cold, wind, and snow you get what sounds like your house being sandblasted. You could see each individual snow flake because it was so cold. Because the front doors to the town homes are set further back than the garage, the wind would swirl around the corner and blow a bunch of snow up to the front door. This is what it looked like.

And looking from my door outside...

This is after I shoveled the snow off the driveway. I started off with one snow shovel and realized quickly I was going to kill myself before I finished. So, I drove to the store and purchased a plow type snow shovel that I could just push. Much better!

The dark spot in the top right corner with a small line of snow is our mailbox. It was covered up to the box. With everything I shoveled off the driveway it looked like we got a lot more than we actually did. We got about 10-11 inches in that first storm.

We have had a few other big snow storms since. I've been out to shovel snow about 7 times now. The last storm only left about 4 inches but the snow plows come by and throw a foot high pile of snow right at the end of your driveway like a barrier. I shoveled up to the last section where all that snow was and decided to leave it for the next day since it was still snowing. I went out the next morning and had to re-shovel everything again up to the end of the driveway. Then it took two more times going out before the driveway was completely clear. That's quite a workout! December was really our coldest month so far with temperatures in the negatives. That's when the cold is painful and it doesn't matter how many layers you have on. January has been more mild with only one snow storm and temperatures in the upper teens to the low thirties. Not bad. I hear this is very mild for Wisconsin. If that's the case, I don't want to live here another winter. I just wasn't made for the cold. Our neighbors keep there heat set to 68° which is what I ONLY set it to at night. I have it set to 72° or 73° during the day and I still require a jacket, socks/slippers, and sometimes a blanket. Wherever we end up next better be warmer than Sparta, Wisconsin!
And looking from my door outside...
This is after I shoveled the snow off the driveway. I started off with one snow shovel and realized quickly I was going to kill myself before I finished. So, I drove to the store and purchased a plow type snow shovel that I could just push. Much better!
The dark spot in the top right corner with a small line of snow is our mailbox. It was covered up to the box. With everything I shoveled off the driveway it looked like we got a lot more than we actually did. We got about 10-11 inches in that first storm.
We have had a few other big snow storms since. I've been out to shovel snow about 7 times now. The last storm only left about 4 inches but the snow plows come by and throw a foot high pile of snow right at the end of your driveway like a barrier. I shoveled up to the last section where all that snow was and decided to leave it for the next day since it was still snowing. I went out the next morning and had to re-shovel everything again up to the end of the driveway. Then it took two more times going out before the driveway was completely clear. That's quite a workout! December was really our coldest month so far with temperatures in the negatives. That's when the cold is painful and it doesn't matter how many layers you have on. January has been more mild with only one snow storm and temperatures in the upper teens to the low thirties. Not bad. I hear this is very mild for Wisconsin. If that's the case, I don't want to live here another winter. I just wasn't made for the cold. Our neighbors keep there heat set to 68° which is what I ONLY set it to at night. I have it set to 72° or 73° during the day and I still require a jacket, socks/slippers, and sometimes a blanket. Wherever we end up next better be warmer than Sparta, Wisconsin!

2 comments:
Okay, I am a huge baby. We have had about that much snow, but not all at once, and the temps have yet to go negative. (Although we do get the wind combined with it, too, and it makes everything worse. I agree with you--once it's that cold, it just doesn't matter how many layers you have on. It's bitter and you kinda want to die.) Love the pictures. It's a big adjustment coming from the mildness of the Pacific NW! Kevin's parents bought him a snowblower for his birthday!
Eureka Nevada has really nice winters! (Hint Hint) I am sure a military job will come open here soon. I love your picture of the ball, you look gorgeous. We miss you guys!
Post a Comment