Friday, April 30, 2010

The Big 30!

This is definitely late since Jaren's birthday was on the 17th! But I wanted to make sure I got this on the blog. My sweetheart is officially 30 years old! We have realized the older you get the less cool your birthday is. Kid birthday's are always the most fun. For this reason I decided to throw Jaren a "kid's" birthday party and invited three families in our branch over for the event. We started with a barbecue then played games (okay, so really the games were for the kids but we thoroughly enjoyed watching them). We played musical chairs...



And we had a very ugly piƱata which was the least cheesy looking one we could find. We had him sitting in our living room for about a week before the party. Every time you walked down the hall to the living room he was staring at you. It made you want to punch him in the face. Really, it did!



I'm sure all the parents were ecstatic that their kids were going home sugared up on cake and candy!



Jaren insisted on a cake eating contest. The half eaten white cake in the background (below) is the cake we used for the contest. The kids enjoyed it and us adults enjoyed watching them but a couple of kids were trying to be goofy and just face planted right into the frosting. One even ended up with it in his eye. What a mess to clean up!

The chocolate cake was his yummy birthday cake. It was a simple Duncan Hines boxed cake mix and very yummy chocolate truffle frosting! I was NOT about to light 30 candles. There was enough wind that these wouldn't even stay lit.



We all had a good time and Jaren really enjoyed his birthday. The kids even went away saying they wanted to have a birthday party just like this one! This was good preparation for the future. There were some good lessons learned. It was a good idea to do everything outside. A great idea for next time is to pay someone to clean up and wash all the dishes.



Happy (belated) birthday sweetie! I love you!

4 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

That's awesome. What a good party. And, yes, something to keep in mind for the future... My one rule is to never, under ANY circumstance, mop the floor before a birthday party. (Though I love that you had it outside. That's the way to go!)

Jenny Ann said...

You did an awesome job! Can I hire you???

Jared said...

Old Man!!!

Christa said...

Happy Birthday Jaren! He still is a kid at heart even though he is old.