Friday, May 7, 2010

Our Next Move

We have known for a few weeks where we will be moving next when Jaren received a new job offer. I didn't want to make it public knowledge until it felt real to me. Well, two weekends ago we made a very last minute trip to the location of his new job to search for a house. After making an offer, having it accepted, signing a purchase contract and going through the steps to complete a home loan, I think it feels pretty real now. So our new home will be in...

GROVETOWN, GEORGIA

This little town is about 9 miles slightly south and west of Augusta, GA. Jaren will be working as a Civilian Contracting Specialist at Ft. Gordon which is about 6 miles southwest of Augusta. The distance from the home we are purchasing to the closest gate at Fort Gordon is less than 4 miles. We are VERY excited to be moving there! We will be in Georgia for at least 3 years but it may be longer depending on how much we like it and how badly we want to move closer to family. Our first impression of the area is that it is gorgeous! We are plenty close to shopping areas so I won't have to drive 30 minutes to get to a mall...or anything other than Walmart or Piggly Wiggly. Atlanta is about a 2 hour drive west and the coast is approximately 3 hours to the east.

We did have a chance to attend the ward we would be in. It looked liked two-thirds of the ward were couples our age with 2-4 kids. It's exciting to be moving to a ward with more couples our age, even if we don't quite fit in without being part of the parents club. I will post about the house we are buying when we can officially call it ours.

Here are a few pictures I found online of Augusta:


Augusta is located next the the Savannah River


The Riverwalk Amphitheater looking at the Savannah River


James Brown Blvd

A few facts about our closest major city:
- Augusta is the second oldest and second largest city in Georgia.
- Augusta was once the second largest inland cotton exchange in the world and has the second largest state-run welcome center in America.
- Augusta’s official nickname is “The Garden City.”
- Augusta is host to The Masters, the most prestigious golf tournament of the PGA tour.
- The city is also host to the Augusta Futurity, the largest cutting horse event east of the Mississippi.

As we were driving around looking at endless houses and housing developments, we came across this speed limit sign. I couldn't resist snapping a picture to post on my blog. Does anyone else have such a unique speed limit in their area?


5 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

That speed limit sign is hilarious. I have never been to Georgia, but I have heard it is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I bet you will love it!! And, yes, being back in "civilization" will be nice, too. I'm so excited to "experience" Georgia through your blog like I have Wisconsin. Awesome. And no more cold winters!!! YAY!

Aubry Macbean said...

Good luck. Hope every thing goes well.

Carrie said...

Yeah! Have fun! I love the pics. Hopefully you never get pulled over for going 1/2 mile over ;)

Jared said...

I remember interviewing in Augusta for residency. I actually liked it. It was pretty warm despite being January and wore a light jacket. Jenny and I might come visit you guys there. Send us pics of the house too.

The Winwards said...

I am so excited for you two, I can't wait to see pictures of your house. Good luck with the move and I am so excited to see you guys soon!