Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My First Berry Pie

I've seriously slacked in the last month on keeping up on my blog! For those who really care, I apologize. Anyway, Jaren and I have just been hanging out in our little apartment waiting until the day we can move into our house! We are getting ever closer to the day! Being here in this apartment with none of our stuff (including books and movies) and no projects we can work on really limits the amount of activities we can come up with. We are VERY bored here. It's a good thing this apartment complex has a pool! Jaren LOVES the water so much it's like I'm taking a kid to the pool the way he puts his goggles on and swims all over. If there are kids in the pool he just can't resist going over to make friends and play with them in the water. What a funny guy!

A few weeks ago we made a trip out to a berry farm and got some hybrid blackberries. I'll post pictures of our trip out there when I get the pictures off the other camera. These blackberries were huge! I froze some and made a blackberry pie with the rest (and some raspberries mixed in).



As you can see these three blackberries nearly cover my entire hand!






The finished product! So this wasn't exactly from scratch because I didn't have a pie tin or a pastry cutter (or blender) to make pie crust dough so I cheated and bought frozen pie crust. The filling didn't have quite enough sugar so it was pretty tart but with vanilla ice cream it was good. Next time I will make sure to add more sugar but the rest of it was great!

We love it here! Only occasionally is the heat too much. With the humidity it doesn't matter if it's 85° or 100° you will be dripping sweat if you are outside too long. I have an embarrassing yet funny story I will post about later. I have many more things to post and I promise they will get posted soon. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their summer!

3 comments:

Amy said...

That looks yummy! Those Berries are HUGE. I have a good easy crust recipe that doesn't require any Rolling pins. I got it off another blog. If you go to my Easter post back in April I think it should be there. I love it!! So Easy and tastes great.

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Wow, Emily, I can't get over the size of those blackberries!! "Cheating" or not, that pie looks heavenly!! :) Can't wait to hear more of your adventures. (And you're right about humidity. When it's humid there's little difference between 80 and 100.)

Carrie said...

YUMMY! My mouth is watering just looking at that. I love pie!