We FINALLY were able to close on our house last Friday and get moved in Saturday. Once we got finished with the actual move we didn't waste any time getting started on painting. We had previously purchased a paint sprayer because we knew we would have a lot of painting to do here in this house (the entire interior). With several rooms already prepped for primer, we started in on a couple Saturday night.
Now I don't consider myself in any way a painting expert because I've hardly done any in my life but I have been watching a lot of HGTV and whenever they use a paint sprayer they have on a suit and wear a respirator mask and protective glasses. Jaren didn't think there would be that much over-spray and said it wasn't necessary to have the suit (with a hood). Nor did he think it necessary to have a respirator mask but just your generic paint fumes mask. Whatever. I knew he wouldn't budge so I went along with it.
Not long after he started spraying I felt like I was in a cloud of paint. It was everywhere! I could feel the hairs on my arms and my eyelashes starting to get sticky as well as the bottom of my feet. Even though I had a little mask on, it didn't seem to be doing much. I felt like I was breathing in a ton of paint! And only Jaren got the protective glasses since he was using the sprayer. My eyes were burning! It was all I could do to be in the room and help...rolling over areas that got too much paint and such. What a nightmare. I took off my mask when we were finished and noticed that my nose seemed to be white. I ran to the bathroom and this is what I saw...

a little closer view...

Click on the picture for the full paint in the eyelashes effect.
I didn't know that you're supposed to pinch the medal strip across the top of the mask to fit your nose (which prevents stuff/paint from coming in through the gaps).

This shirt used to be navy blue.

The paint in the hair looked worse in real life. Yes, this was a serious PAIN to try and wash out.

I had so much paint on my feet from walking around on the painter's tarp that I could just peel it off afterward.

I decided that if Jaren was going to continue painting with the sprayer, we needed to consider his health more seriously and prevent paint in the lungs. So I purchased a suit and respirator mask. I didn't realize the one suit I bought was the only kind without the hood! So I made him one from a grocery sack. I just seal him up in the room now and he does all the work. :)

These suits are basically just thick paper so as soon as he put it on it started ripping at the seams in the groin and thighs. This is my super strong duct tape mending job. Looks great doesn't it?

Oh yeah! Sexy!

There was only a bit of paint on the face where the goggles and mask didn't cover. Much better to wash than what we had to before!
This should be a separate post because this one is long already but I'm lazy and am combining the two. It's mostly pictures anyway.
Tuesday morning after Jaren went to work, I started in on unpacking and cleaning. As I was heading to the stairs I glanced through the small side window next to the door and saw a large dark something on the doorstep. It freaked me out as I thought, "What wild animal is on my front porch waiting for me to open the door and attack??!!!" Then I looked through the window again and got a better view of the wild and ferocious animal...

A very large Mr. Turtle.
What he was doing on my front porch and where did he come from? I have no idea. He looks like he just crawled out of the swamp.

I tried feeding him lettuce but he didn't make a move to try any. I wanted to measure him but the only thing I could find was this paint stick. I later measured the paint stick at 14 inches. As you can tell he's a little larger and if his tail were all the way extended he would be about 21 inches long.

He just sat there...staring...

...on my porch. I had work to do so I went back into the house and kept coming back to check on him. I figured he would eventually walk his way back to his swamp. After a couple of hours he got up and started walking away.

Then went to lay in the grass.

I checked on him a few other times and he was in a different spot in the grass each time but he eventually disappeared. Hopefully he made it safely home. Not many people can say that they have opened the door to find a wild turtle sitting on their front porch. I thought it was just so cool!
Update: I googled Mr. Turtle to see what kind he is and was rather grateful all 10 of my fingers are still intact. Yes, this is a common snapping turtle. Maybe it wasn't smart for me to touch Mr. Turtle's front leg or tail or even put lettuce right in front of his face (trying to coerce him to eat it) but I didn't know at the time what he was. He looked like such a sweet and innocent turtle! Had I known, I probably would have given him a much bigger personal bubble space. Wikipedia says that the common snapping turtles have a vicious disposition and readily snap at nearby objects. Their necks are so long that they can reach all the way back to their hind legs to bite and can amputate a finger with that strong, beak-like jaw. Nice to know. I also read that they are omnivorous and will eat most any kind of animal as well as certain vegetation. Maybe my lettuce didn't look as appealing as some of the animals he has eaten. Even though Mr. Turtle could have easily taken off a finger or two (and had a few opportunities to do so), he was mellow when I was near him and it was still cool to have him on my front porch!
Now I don't consider myself in any way a painting expert because I've hardly done any in my life but I have been watching a lot of HGTV and whenever they use a paint sprayer they have on a suit and wear a respirator mask and protective glasses. Jaren didn't think there would be that much over-spray and said it wasn't necessary to have the suit (with a hood). Nor did he think it necessary to have a respirator mask but just your generic paint fumes mask. Whatever. I knew he wouldn't budge so I went along with it.
Not long after he started spraying I felt like I was in a cloud of paint. It was everywhere! I could feel the hairs on my arms and my eyelashes starting to get sticky as well as the bottom of my feet. Even though I had a little mask on, it didn't seem to be doing much. I felt like I was breathing in a ton of paint! And only Jaren got the protective glasses since he was using the sprayer. My eyes were burning! It was all I could do to be in the room and help...rolling over areas that got too much paint and such. What a nightmare. I took off my mask when we were finished and noticed that my nose seemed to be white. I ran to the bathroom and this is what I saw...
a little closer view...
Click on the picture for the full paint in the eyelashes effect.
I didn't know that you're supposed to pinch the medal strip across the top of the mask to fit your nose (which prevents stuff/paint from coming in through the gaps).
This shirt used to be navy blue.
The paint in the hair looked worse in real life. Yes, this was a serious PAIN to try and wash out.
I had so much paint on my feet from walking around on the painter's tarp that I could just peel it off afterward.
I decided that if Jaren was going to continue painting with the sprayer, we needed to consider his health more seriously and prevent paint in the lungs. So I purchased a suit and respirator mask. I didn't realize the one suit I bought was the only kind without the hood! So I made him one from a grocery sack. I just seal him up in the room now and he does all the work. :)
These suits are basically just thick paper so as soon as he put it on it started ripping at the seams in the groin and thighs. This is my super strong duct tape mending job. Looks great doesn't it?
Oh yeah! Sexy!
There was only a bit of paint on the face where the goggles and mask didn't cover. Much better to wash than what we had to before!
This should be a separate post because this one is long already but I'm lazy and am combining the two. It's mostly pictures anyway.
Tuesday morning after Jaren went to work, I started in on unpacking and cleaning. As I was heading to the stairs I glanced through the small side window next to the door and saw a large dark something on the doorstep. It freaked me out as I thought, "What wild animal is on my front porch waiting for me to open the door and attack??!!!" Then I looked through the window again and got a better view of the wild and ferocious animal...
A very large Mr. Turtle.
What he was doing on my front porch and where did he come from? I have no idea. He looks like he just crawled out of the swamp.
I tried feeding him lettuce but he didn't make a move to try any. I wanted to measure him but the only thing I could find was this paint stick. I later measured the paint stick at 14 inches. As you can tell he's a little larger and if his tail were all the way extended he would be about 21 inches long.
He just sat there...staring...
...on my porch. I had work to do so I went back into the house and kept coming back to check on him. I figured he would eventually walk his way back to his swamp. After a couple of hours he got up and started walking away.
Then went to lay in the grass.
I checked on him a few other times and he was in a different spot in the grass each time but he eventually disappeared. Hopefully he made it safely home. Not many people can say that they have opened the door to find a wild turtle sitting on their front porch. I thought it was just so cool!
Update: I googled Mr. Turtle to see what kind he is and was rather grateful all 10 of my fingers are still intact. Yes, this is a common snapping turtle. Maybe it wasn't smart for me to touch Mr. Turtle's front leg or tail or even put lettuce right in front of his face (trying to coerce him to eat it) but I didn't know at the time what he was. He looked like such a sweet and innocent turtle! Had I known, I probably would have given him a much bigger personal bubble space. Wikipedia says that the common snapping turtles have a vicious disposition and readily snap at nearby objects. Their necks are so long that they can reach all the way back to their hind legs to bite and can amputate a finger with that strong, beak-like jaw. Nice to know. I also read that they are omnivorous and will eat most any kind of animal as well as certain vegetation. Maybe my lettuce didn't look as appealing as some of the animals he has eaten. Even though Mr. Turtle could have easily taken off a finger or two (and had a few opportunities to do so), he was mellow when I was near him and it was still cool to have him on my front porch!

2 comments:
Those paint pictures are ... WOW. Amazing. I can see Kevin & me approaching the paint suit & mask the EXACT same way--that totally made me laugh. I'm glad you got pictures. This will be one to remember. I have to say, my favorite is the one of your feet. Wow, and in the hair--what a mess!!
And the turtle was so cute!!!!!!!! Yeah, living in the south is definitely different, huh??
Glad you closed on your first home, exciting! Love the grey hair.
Post a Comment