MUCH has happened since my last post. So many unexpected changes and unexpected roads we've taken. A few have heard the news but I decided to finally make the big announcement...we're going to adopt. We're going a different route than just adopting a brand new baby from an adoption agency. We are in the process of completing certification to become foster parents in the state of Texas. Our plan is to eventually adopt some kids that come into our home.
FYI: This does not mean in any way that we have given up on having children of our own. We just feel this is what we're supposed to do at this time.
What made us decide to do this you may ask? Well, we have talked about this before in our marriage. Mostly Jaren would ask what I thought about adopting kids in the Child Protective Services (CPS)program and me thinking that would be way too overwhelming and a lot of work my answer was generally a flat out "NO". Jaren's older sister and brother-in-law have fostered and/or adopted 9 children aside from the two they already have. I certainly don't plan on that many but it's been amazing to see these kids and the family dynamic in their home. I didn't see these kids when they first came to their new home but heard about the difficulties (an understatement). These kids have changed a lot and are happy. It's so amazing to see how fostering or adoption of these kids coming from broken homes can save their lives and give them wonderful opportunities and a safe, happy environment to grow up in.
A couple of months after visiting his sister and her family for the holidays, Jaren got an overwhelming impression and desire to foster/adopt some children. He was driving out of town and called me with a very serious question of how I would feel about it. This was the first time he asked me that I felt it was right for us and at this particular time. It was one of those rare times when you feel the Lord has sent you to a specific place at a specific time with a very specific purpose. Thank goodness Jaren's sister was there to help us get to the right people to start this process. She's been a huge help and supporter calling us every so often to see how things are going and make sure we're doing alright in the process. The process has been a roller coaster and there have been some big changes.
One huge change is that we bought a house. We were absolutely not planning on it nor were we very happy about it because we don't plan to stay in Texas very long but there were absolutely no homes for rent here. None. We know we are going to need more space than an apartment so we ended up purchasing a home. It was a big risk and we may even end up losing money on it when we sell. It is $400 a month more than our apartment (which was a lot already) and we've been fixing it up and repainting everything since we moved in. This has been a huge hold up. We can't get certified until the house is done and our inspections are completed. It's coming along though.
Other things that have been or will soon be part of this process: buying a minivan, buying beds and other bedroom furniture, collecting toys and books, child-proofing our home, garage, and backyard, finding schools, doctors, and dentists, making daily schedules, becoming CPR certified, and most of all, mentally preparing for the fact that we will have kids soon. Since it's just been the two of us for the last 9 years I think this is going to be a HUGE adjustment. Worth it, but difficult too.
We are hoping to foster/adopt a set of siblings (2 or 3). For security reasons and per the state of Texas, we won't be allowed to post pictures of the kids on the internet while we foster them. I probably won't be able to post much about the kids other than "they've arrived" so please be patient. When the time is right and we get to adopt them, we'll introduce them to you as our children. I'll try to still post about Jaren and I and general things that are happening but they won't be specific to the children.
We have definitely felt the Lord through this process. We are human so we quite often question why we're doing this or do we really want to do this? We always know it's what we're supposed to do so we keep going. The adversary has been working against us. I am grateful he hasn't hindered us more but I feel the Lord wants us to be done and ready at a certain time (which is getting very close) so He's been helping us along. When I told my mom our decision to do foster/adopt, she e-mailed me with a quote she found:
"To every man there comes in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." - Winston Churchill
I know this will be our finest work on this earth, to raise children. I pray for the strength to make it through! Thank you to all of our family and friends who have shown us so much support. We love you!

5 comments:
What a huge and exciting decision! My sister-in-law (also in texas, near fort worth) was on the adoption waiting lists through LDS family services for years before deciding to go the state/foster route. Once she jumped through all the hoops (which were a pain), they only had to wait a month or two before they got Anna, a beautiful 2-year-old girl who got sealed to them and their 7yo biological daughter last summer. It's been an amazing story to follow- a little rocky at first (starting parenting with a two-year-old... ugh) but definitely a happy ending. They are already starting the process to foster/adopt more. Best of luck to you in expanding your family!
Im really excited for you Em. You two are going to ROCK it! And you'll have to send me emails with pics and updates, I want to hear all about it! Super congrats to you and best wishes!
That is so great. I am amazed and I can't wait to hear more! Congratulations on finding the path that was right for you. That can be a painful, hard, and humbling road. You guys will be great parents!
Yay! I think about you guys from time to time and have been hoping you'd have a child or children enter your lives. I felt from one of your lasts posts it has been a painful journey for you. You will be such amazing foster parents, and parents. Best of wishes to you both:)
Oh, I'm thrilled for you. Feeling that hand of the Lord makes the decision the right one. You will be wonderful parents!! I'm very excited for you. xoxo Wish you could post the pictures when that happens, but I will be patient. :)
Post a Comment