Monday, October 22, 2012

14 weeks


 
My belly doesn't seem to be too much bigger in this picture but it is. I certainly feel bigger and am having a harder time fitting my belly into some things. I've officially switched to maternity pants because they're more comfy. I tried the rubber band thing with my regular jeans and it just didn't work. Oh well.
 
I'm still struggling through sickness. Though most recently I've had another pain to deal with! I started having extreme upper abdominal pain last Friday night. It got so bad Jaren took me to the hospital. They did an ultrasound to make sure baby is alright and he was fine. Thank goodness! Then they moved the ultrasound to my liver and gallbladder. Sure enough, they found gallstones. Yuck! It seemed to take FOREVER for them to finally get me some pain medication. But once that stuff hit, I was very loopy and could hardly lift my own arms they felt so clumsy. But the relief from the pain was wonderful!
 
Jaren was, of course, very concerned and trying to do whatever he could to help me...which was pretty much nothing. I felt bad but I didn't want him touching me because of how much pain I was in. I tried to be nice and hold his hand when he offered it. Maybe when labor comes around, it won't be so pleasant for him. We spent about 5 1/2 hours at the hospital. It was the middle of the night so poor Jaren just curled up in the corner of the room on the hard floor to get some sleep. The nurses gave him a blanket and pillow which was nice. Every time they gave me some medicine to take, it shortly came back up. The next day my throat was so sore and hoarse because of how many times I'd thrown up. Horrible!!
 
Saturday I could only have clear liquids/food which consisted of Jell-O and chicken broth. I just tried to take it easy and spent most of the day preparing my talk and lesson I was giving in church the next day. Though I'm not in pain anymore I'm still feeling after effects. I think my body will be recovering for a little while. They said they don't generally like to remove the gallbladder while a woman is pregnant so I will just have to be really careful for now to avoid another attack. Honestly, I don't WANT my gallbladder removed. I don't care what anybody says, it's useful and I'd like it to stay there. Anyone have any ideas on how to safely and naturally get rid of gallstones while pregnant?
 
Aside from that fun adventure, nothing else is new. We're still waiting to hear news from our foster agency. In the mean time we're still getting kids bedrooms ready and finishing projects on the house. I feel like there's no end to those! We'll let you all know when we have news. I don't mind so much that it's taking a little longer though because I'm hoping the extra time will allow me to get feeling better before we get kids!  

3 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

You look beautiful. So sorry about the gallstones & etc. :( That is so hard!!! :( I hope it all goes well for you. Adding ANYTHING on top of pregnancy is kind of the pits. Sounds like you are busy getting ready for kids, though, and that's fun!

Lori said...

What a stinker about the gallstones! I hope they don't haunt you again for a long time, you have enough on your plate! Thanks for the update about everything else though and CONGRATS on the big second trimester!!!

Jared said...

Wow, that sucks!!! Removing the Gallbladder, believe it or not, does not remove the risk of repeated "Gallstones" completely. Interesting huh? So, there are a few things that you can do to help avoid a repeat attack (unfortunately it is going to be much harder than it would be for a non pregnant person- the pregnancy hormones increase the risk of Gallstones). The main thing that you can do at this point, non surgically and while pregnant is changing what you eat. Certain foods increase the constraction of the Gallbladder- the fatty acids in food increase the release of bile from the gallbladder into the small intestine- cutting back on foods that contain fats and oils can help. Also, decreasing meats will also help. Diet changes alone sometimes won't take away all the problems, but right now, as you're pregnant and probably want to avoid drugs and surgery this is what you're left with.
Hope you get better. I'm glad Jaren is a good husband. He was always a good friend too.
love you guys-

Jared