Thursday, January 1, 2009

Looking back on 2008...

Jaren and I moved to Washington shortly before the new year. We were welcomed into the ward in which I spent my teen years. I was called to be in the Young Women program in March as the Camp Director and Personal Progress Specialist. Jaren and I had the great opportunity to go on a cruise to Mexico before he left. Jaren went off to pre-deployment training right after my birthday in May. I was able to visit him over the 4th of July where we had a great weekend in Branson, Missouri. He left for Iraq shortly after. I was able to visit family and friends during the summer. I didn't have to spend our 5 year anniversary alone...I went with Jaren's whole family to Idaho and had fun doing his absolute favorite summer activity...white water rafting! (Sorry you missed it honey!) I went to girl's camp in August and had more fun as a leader than I ever had as a young woman! In October I moved in with mom and dad to save on rent. I tried rock climbing and have started skiing lessons! Jaren was on a small base in Iraq (that we will leave unnamed) until just before Christmas when his unit moved to the Baghdad Airport which is a huge military base. He has been safe in both places. Iraq is pretty calm now and for that I am very grateful. Christmas apart was really hard for both of us. Jaren did receive several packages that he enjoyed! We have had great support from family and friends and also from the ward. People are always asking how both Jaren and I are doing. I know this deployment could be a lot worse. I feel for any couple that has, is, or will go through any kind of separation. It doesn't matter if it's a couple days or a whole year, I hate being apart from Jaren. With this deployment though we have had some learning and growing experiences that would not have come any other way. I'm grateful to have such great people around me. I couldn't imagine going through this without the gospel and the help of the Lord. I know the Lord has so much in store for us in the upcoming year and I can imagine like many other things that have come our way in life, it's either a surprise or not what we expect. The trick is to enjoy the ride. How blessed we are to be here on this earth and even more so to have the true gospel of Christ. Life gets going so fast that we don't notice when the year is gone. Take time to enjoy the finer things in life and enjoy every minute you have on this earth! Hope you all have a great new year!

6 comments:

Annica said...

Happy New year!!! I love how you always have such a positive outlook on things. You post reminded me of that one time at work when you got a call from Jaren and you missed it because you were helping a customer. You started crying! I know you must be having a terribly hard time, but hang in there!

The Winwards said...

Happy New Year! I hopee you had a great Chritmas, we missed you. I am excited to see you next week!

Amy said...

White Water Rafting:) That sounds so fun!

I hope you have a great new year too! Rocking climbing and Skiing lessons. You sound busy busy:) I am sure you'll do great!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

I totally feel for both of you being apart. It is SO hard. My husband and I went through that (before we were married--we have about 4 years' worth of weekly letters to each other!!) and it is ROUGH. You guys are toughing it out well, and it really will end!!!

Judy said...

It's January and Nicole posted your blog for me to read. It was really special. We pray for Jaren all the time. Your concern and love for really choked me up. How special to post those songs. I so enjoyed the Christmas tree light story. I grew up for years watching my dad and brothers string lights and was glad I didn't have to. But they were beautiful. I'm impressed you even attempted it. I thought your tree was beautiful. Our Young Women sent packages to the soldiers awhile back (when I called to get Jaren's address) They mailed it, so I hope he received it. If not, I'm sure someone else enjoyed it. Well-I wish you the best always.
Love, Jaren's aunt Judy (Blake's sister)

diana said...

Em, How do you like your hair curly? I am thinking of perming mine with the biggest curl possible.