Jaren's younger brother Tyson, got his mission call last September. He will spend two years serving in the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo East mission. I can hardly believe he's old enough! He was only 13 years old (almost 14) when Jaren and I got married! I went down to Utah on the 9th and stayed until we dropped Tyson off at the MTC on the 14th. It was a busy visit. To all my friends in Utah, sorry that I didn't get to visit anyone other than the Glover's. Ty is a fun brother-in-law. While Jaren has been gone he has been great at making sure I'm not bored and that I have someone to hang out with when I'm visiting the Glover's. He even took me up to The Canyons in Park City to go skiing that Saturday before he left. This was only my third time skiing and I knew it would be tough for Tyson who is so good at snowboarding. He loves to pack every minute of the day with amazingly fun stuff to the point where he won't even stop for food. That wouldn't fly with me...I made him eat with me at lunch time. I told Tyson that the first run down had to be an EASY run so I could get a feel for the snow. He took me on a blue or "more difficult" run. Within the first 20 feet I knew I was in trouble. I scolded him saying I wanted an EASY run and this was not it. He assured me it was...called me a baby...and persuaded me to keep going down the mountain (he wasn't as mean as this sounds). He didn't see me after that until I face planted in a foot of powder with one ski off and buried in it. He had to help me get back up. I only fell a few times throughout the day. I was scared to death mostly. He did take me down the bunny hill a couple of times after that first run. He was, of course, tortured the whole time saying it was too slow. He took me down a few more blue runs where I would end up at the bottom well before him. He couldn't understand how I got down there so fast but thought I must be doing well if I was in one piece. He decided to go ahead of me and watch me come down about the 5th run. It had gotten more icy by this point. I started off as usual trying to turn back and forth until I got going too fast to dare turn my skis for fear of losing all control. Tyson figured out why I always got down to the bottom so fast. That was the scariest run of them all. I watched him giving me the slow down sign as I flew by him nearly crashing into a tree and taking out another skier (while I was praying the whole time). When he caught up with me at the bottom he had a very frightened look on his face as he said, "I'm NEVER taking you down this run again! And next time you go skiing, you are wearing a helmet!" :) What can I say, I'm a beginner. I did tell him at the start of the day that I wanted something easy. It's a good thing I stayed on the bunny hill after that, it was too icy. It was quite the day. With car troubles on the way there, nearly killing myself several times on the slopes, forcing Tyson to eat with me at the Lodge, and even worse car trouble on the way home, it was still a great day and I had a blast! Sunday Ty gave a great talk and it was nice visiting with all of the family and friends that came. I spent Monday and Tuesday taking care of some business for Jaren at Utah State, labelling Tyson's stuff, packing his bags (3 times), getting the last few things he needed, doing family stuff, etc. Tyson is a great guy and I'm so proud he's out serving the Lord.
Me and Ty at his farewell "family gathering".
Blake, Kali, and I went to the temple with Tyson and his two friends who are leaving or already left for their missions too. This is outside the Ogden temple the day before he went into the MTC. (Tyson, Curtis, Spencer)
Outside the MTC before going in. We love you Tyson!
What a handsome missionary! Good luck Tyson!


3 comments:
How great to have such a good friend in your brother-in-law. Best of luck to him on his mission. Missions are AWESOME!!
Wow, they sure do grow up fast! Matthew turned 20 yesterday and is about two weeks away from being out for a year. Where has the time gone?
It was so fun to see you. I miss you and Jaren a ton. I think you should really think about moving to Eureka when he gets back. It would be so fun, I would be around all the time:)
Post a Comment