Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Surgery

We went in and talked to my OBGYN a few days after my hospitalization from the gallstones and he said he would prefer that I have my gallbladder taken out now while I'm in the beginning of my second trimester. He said this is the best time to have it done. He's worried if I decide to wait until after the pregnancy, I could have another attack in the critical development time between 24 and 32 weeks. This could send me into labor early and mean more complications for baby.

There is still risk of miscarriage just by going under for surgery but Jaren and I both feel the greater risk is not getting it done. I have been faithfully watching my diet to avoid anything that will send me into another attack but the doctor said that may not be enough. I could still have an attack while eating as healthy as possible. With that said, I go in for surgery tomorrow morning. It will be an outpatient surgery and take about a week to recover. We're just praying for the best so baby will be alive and healthy after it all. I've really appreciated the love and support of our friends and family in our journey to become parents. Your prayers on behalf of baby and I would be greatly appreciated! I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how everything goes.

2 comments:

Anita Dean said...

I've never been fond of surgery as a solution, but in this case I think the doctor is right. It took me about a week to recover from mine and it was under stressful circumstances. You'll be in my prayers.

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

I saw on FB that everything was okay. I haven't been on a blog for a few days. :) I'm so glad everything went okay. I had a minor surgery when I was pregnant with Preston and it was a scary thing to do. I'm so glad everything is all right! :) *hugs*