Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chaplain's Seminar

Jaren and I had the wonderful opportunity to fly out to Utah and attend the Chaplain's Seminar held during every October General Conference. This is held for the LDS Chaplain's of all military branches and their spouses. The Seminar starts on Friday evening with a dinner and devotional but Jaren was unable to get off then. We flew out Saturday morning and made it in time to watch the afternoon session of General Conference. We were able to spend time with family and friends Saturday and Sunday then we drove down to the Church Office Building for the seminar bright and early Monday morning. I had planned on taking pictures of the both of us or even with family and friends but as always, I never remembered to pull the camera out. These few are the only ones I took right before we went into the Church Office Building Monday morning.







At the Seminar, the chaplains come in their military dress uniform and the spouses in regular church dress. We didn't bring his cool looking dress hat because packing it in a suitcase would be difficult so we just brought his beret. He still looks all spiffy and handsome here!

The theme of this year's seminar was "Spiritual Resilience - Enduring to the End". Definitely things needed in these latter days. Monday and Tuesday start at 8:00 am and generally go until 4:30 pm. We had the privilege of hearing from many wonderful speakers. Some of which included Elder Robert S. Wood (Quorum of the Seventy) and Chaplain Douglas L. Carver (Army Chief of Chaplains). The chaplains and wives always split Monday morning and the ladies go over the the Relief Socity building. We heard from a few chaplain's wives then had a luncheon. The speakers at our luncheon were Chaplain Carver's wife and Sister Barbara Thompson of the Relief Society General Presidency on Monday. Tuesday some of the speakers included were Dr. Robert Millet (BYU Religion Faculty), Elder Gerald N. Lund, Elder Robert C. Oaks and our concluding speaker, Elder Jeffery R. Holland. Inter-mixed throughout the entire seminar are special musical numbers and breaks with refreshments. Several of the chaplains spoke as well telling some of their special experiences in deployments and in their "ministry" as we call it. I can't even describe the amazing experience it is to participate in this Chaplain Seminar. To get instruction from these wonderful men and women is so great! Hearing our leaders of the church in General Conference is such a blessing but then to hear from them in a more personal setting with their messages directed to our specific career/mission is even more of a blessing. Jaren may not be a chaplain yet but the messages still applied to those who are working towards Chaplaincy.

One of the chaplain's wives that spoke Monday morning showed a music video. The song was written by a twelve year old girl who knows what it is like to have her dad gone on deployment. The National Guard came in and filmed the music video with the girl and her sixteen year old sister performing together. They have gone around performing this song in different places. The message really strikes home. I don't know if it was a good or bad idea to show this to all of the spouses because it wasn't just misty eyes but tears streaming down faces and some full-on sobbing. Tissue boxes popped up and were being passed around. Thank goodness I had my own tissues ready before they showed it. I get all choked up every time I watch it. I want everyone to see it so be prepared with your own tissues. I love you all! Thanks for your support of us and our troops!


2 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

What an awesome experience!!! I'm actually very jealous of the speakers you heard--some of my favorites!! I'm so glad you had a chance to go!!

Amy said...

that sounds like such a neat experience. I love the pics Emily!