Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mousse Mountain Cupcakes!

Sorry, this is another post on my latest food creation. I just couldn't resist this one! I got the idea for the cupcakes when researching cupcake recipes for our monthly cupcake Sunday in Young Women. I brought cupcakes last month and found cupcakes like these on Martha Stewart's website. Hers are called Hi-Hat cupcakes with a seven-minute type frosting for the filling. I changed mine to chocolate mousse and named them Mousse Mountain Cupcakes! They are wonderful and messy and you need a huge glass of milk when eating them. Three wonderful types of chocolate all combined make this divine, rich dessert. ENJOY!




(Mr. Cupcake got a little smashed when I tried cutting him in half)
Cupcake: I use my favorite kind of cake for the cupcakes, Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix. I love cake mixes so haven't often bothered with making cake from scratch. I have learned that if you beat the cake batter too long it turns out more fluffy and goes dry easier. I like mine a tiny bit more moist and dense so I only beat the cake batter for about a 1min 30 sec - 1 min 40 sec instead of the two minutes it says. Might not make a huge difference but in my mind it does.
Chocolate Mousse:
4 egg yolks
1/4 c sugar
1 cup whipping cream (heavy)
1 c good quality chocolate, chopped (I use 1/2 - 2/3 c milk chocolate and the rest dark)
1 1/2 c whipping cream (heavy)
1. Beat egg yolks in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar.
2. Heat 1 c whipping cream in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until hot. Gradually stir at least half of the hot whipping cream into egg yolk mixture; stir back into hot cream in saucepan. Cook over low hear about 5 minutes, stirring constatnly, until mixture thickens (do not boil). I use wire whisk for this. Stir in chocolate until melted. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, just until chilled.
3. Beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream in chilled medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream. Sometimes I need to use the electric mixer for 10 seconds to mix everything thoroughly. In piping bag or large plastic bag with corner tip cut off (1/2 inch opening), pipe 2 inch swirl on top of cooled cupcakes leaving an 1/8 inch border. It will look like the top of a swirled ice cream cone. If you don't use too much or too little then you should have enough chocolate mousse for about 20-22 cupcakesRefrigerate cupcakes until mousse is set (about 2 hours). I have refrigerated them overnight and they are just fine. However, make sure they are covered somehow in a container or make sure there are NO strong odors in your fridge. The chocolate mousse (and chocolate coating) can take on the flavor of the smell.
Chocolate coating:
2 cups good quality chocolate, chopped
3 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
In double boiler on low heat (water barely simmering), melt the chocolate and oil until smooth. Remove from simmering water to cool for about 15 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl or I use a glass one cup measuring cup. It is easier with a glass one cup measuring cup to dip because it is deep and more narrow. Hold each of the cupcakes by the bottom and gently dip into the chocolate thoroughly covering the chocolate mousse. Let as much excess chocolate drip off then set on a aluminum foil lined cookie sheet with cooling rack on it so the extra chocolate will drip through the cooling racks and onto the cookie sheet. Refrigerate these yummy cucakes until the chocolate is set or until ready to serve. Store extra cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Good quality chocolate: I use Cadbury's milk chocolate and royal dark when making both the mousse and chocolate coating. It is less expensive than other high quality brands and still works great in the recipes. I have found the milk chocolate at Walmart but you will probably have to go to another grocery store to find the royal dark.
Happy chocolate eating!!!

6 comments:

Sheena said...

oh my gosh these cupcakes look so good!!! how did you get the frosting to look so perfect?

Annica said...

MMMM! They look so yummy! I love how you referred to the cupcake as "Mr Cupcake!"

Michelle said...

Looks good, I just might have to make them!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Those look FANTASTIC!! Totally amazing! By the way, I have sampled the cake you left. The caramel frosting is awesome. I honestly think the whole thing is good. I didn't think the apples were too crunchy and/or tart like you did. I thought it was all good. Maybe to get the apples how you wanted, you might cook the apple pie filling to soften them more, or maybe use applesauce or something???? I thought it was great, though. Thanks for sharing with us! :)

Aubry Macbean said...

I think that you need to send my mom and Aunt star the recipie. The chocolate lover in them would die and go to heaven

Lisa said...

I was wondering who made these last night!! They were by far the BEST. Hit my chocolate spot right on. :D